Friday, January 19, 2018

The Catholic Church brought the Inquisition to the world

Remembering that helps understand Mark Shea's approach to Donald Trump.  So what happens when Trump, by his actions, does as much to combat abortion and stand against it as any president in recent memory - if ever?

Hunker down.  Take off the gloves.  Put on the brass knuckles.  Fight!  Demand fealty to the narratives and politics of the political Left.  Make its approaches to problems and the Gospel one and the same.  Denounce notions of redemption and the possibility of repentance.  Insist that past sins forever define you. Who said Catholicism is about forgiveness and mercy! Poopoo this silly notion of salvation apart from the progressive movement.

And go farther than anyone in reminding us that the Catholic Church alone institutionalized a method of torture and violence as a means to achieve the will of Christ.  That keyboards and twitter are used rather than swords and racks is of little consequence.

For the One who said love your neighbor also said something about raca, fool, forgiveness and judging others. And that doesn't mean just showing love and mercy to those whose sins align with the political Left.

Sometimes I think the New Pro Life Movement forgets that Jesus was about more than the physical bodies of homo sapiens, but was for the overall being: heart, soul, mind and strength.  Hence the harsh condemnations, not just of those who fail to feed the hungry and clothe the naked, but who refuse to forgive, who hurl judgmentalism at others, and who toss about raca and fool as a matter of course (something we can all do well to remember).
But I say to you that every one who is angry with his brother shall be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother shall be liable to the council, and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be liable to the hell of fire.
BTW, this is not to say I believe someone showing up at a rally suddenly makes everything else right.  I just subscribe to what Mark used to say about those on the Left, though they advocate the manifold evils and terrors of the Left, when they would do something good.  You give credit where it is due.  I believe Mark was right.   That Mark no longer abides by what he once said is up to Mark.  Hypocrisy being another common target of Jesus' teachings.

As for me?  I hope Trump does well.  Just as Mark and others insisted we always should, c. 2008.  I wish Trump the best.  I hope he changes in those areas he needs to change and becomes better than his critics.  I don't hope he is diagnosed with Cancer or Alzheimer's.  I've seen what those do and wouldn't wish it on anyone, even if I insist it's not what I'm doing.  I will pray for him, as Mark insisted we should, frequently citing Paul's admonitions in Romans and his letter to Timothy, c. 2008:
Everyone must submit to governing authorities. For all authority comes from God, and those in positions of authority have been placed there by God. So anyone who rebels against authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and they will be punished. For the authorities do not strike fear in people who are doing right, but in those who are doing wrong. Would you like to live without fear of the authorities? Do what is right, and they will honor you. The authorities are God’s servants, sent for your good. But if you are doing wrong, of course you should be afraid, for they have the power to punish you. They are God’s servants, sent for the very purpose of punishing those who do what is wrong. So you must submit to them, not only to avoid punishment, but also to keep a clear conscience.
 Pay your taxes, too, for these same reasons. For government workers need to be paid. They are serving God in what they do. Give to everyone what you owe them: Pay your taxes and government fees to those who collect them, and give respect and honor to those who are in authority.

Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior

That's what I do.  And if Trump does well, I give credit where it is due.  If he doesn't, or continues acting like a child, I'll certainly not praise him for it.  But I won't reduce the Christian Faith to no more than a billboard for the social and economic policies of the Democratic party.  My righteousness is not based on who I vote for or what policies I support, but what I do, how I treat others, and whether I love my neighbor as myself.

Oh, and I'll pray for Mark, Simcha, and all the others trying to shoehorn the Faith into the latest worldly assault on the reality revealed by Christ.  It's not the first time the Faithful have been swayed away from the anchor of the Faith by the latest royal Child Catcher.  It won't be the last, yet there but for the grace of God go I.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts