Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Bill Maher: Knowing the right F-Word to use

So I'm checking out my stats page, and pretty happy with the readers I'm getting. For a nobody with a blog a few months old, I'm impressed. I'm pretty happy with the comments, though would love to see more. I find I learn more about how to say what I'm trying to say by reading how folks took my posts. But we'll get there.

Anyhow, I'm looking at the stats and all of a sudden I notice a minor influx of referrals from Huffington Post. Don't ask me why. The stats don't tell me everything. Or if they tell me everything, I'm too tech stupid to figure it out. I stopped going to the Huffpost some time ago. In fact, one of the reasons I started my blog was due to the annoyance of seeing about one out of every ten posts of mine get censored. So, decided to start my own where I can say pretty much what I want (within reason and legal limits).

After about a minute, I was reminded of another reason that I stopped visiting - I just cannot relate to the post-liberal Left. To me, it's rage and hatred against anything that stands in the way of sex, drugs, hedonism and narcissism. It's a contempt and loathing for ideological non-conformists that makes one think of how blacks were regarded in years gone by, or Jews in some other countries we've read about.

One thing that caught my eye was this little clip by Bill Maher. In it, he basically says that since Americans are too fat to join the army, let gays join instead. It's a joke, I know. But I noted the ease with which he cast being 'fat' in such a negative way. I've already pointed out that our society, which twenty years ago said we should not use the word 'fat' because it is insensitive, is now getting back to the old 'fatty' attitudes.

Never mind that there are many reasons people may be overweight. Never mind multiple causes that can lead a person to gain weight. Being 'fat' increasingly is seen the way being a smoker was in the 90s, or, dare I say, a homosexual was seen sixty years ago.: disgusting, a burden, a brunt of jokes, and being told to change no matter what your reason for being overweight.

Naturally, the same things said about being overweight could be said about homosexuality. But say that today about homosexuality and see how far you get. As I pointed out when I began noticing CNN's calls for intolerance of non-supportive attitudes toward homosexuality, the double standard is palpable. CNN, after finishing a story about how much of a burden obesity is on our great nation, launched into its bullying equals bigotry against gays series that ran for almost two weeks. At no point, did CNN mention that it could be argued homosexuality continues to contribute to problems such as the HIV pandemic. Nor did it mention the expenses and economic burdens that arise from that. Certainly you won't find it on Huffington Post, where only stories that paint homosexuality in the most positive light possible are allowed. That's the same site that allows such a swipe at people with weight problems. Now, according to CNN, Huffingont Post, and other left leaning outlets dedicated to making the acceptance of homosexuality the law, it's perfectly fine to just call those other rotten folks 'fat' and be done with it.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you are comparing being fat to being gay. Do you know how much obesity costs us? Do you know how many people die because of obesity? Do you even have a clue what you are talking about?

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts