Monday, January 3, 2011

Happy Birthday Professor Tolkien!


I can't believe I almost forgot J.R.R. Tolkien's birthday.  He would have been 119.  I won't go into detail, except to say I've never been much of a fantasy or sci-fiction fan, but his masterpiece The Lord of the Rings still ranks as one of my favorites.  I try to read at least one of the three books every year (always starting in September of course).  His works are loved by many, and like anything, disliked by others.  But few try to dismiss the influence he had on fantasy in particular and fiction in general.  A work of such magnitude, by a man so brilliant in his field and yet possessing that rarest of qualities in so many academic settings - common sense and wisdom - molded a tale that is wonderful on more levels than I can grasp.  The films, cartoons, animated specials all have their own visions of what he wrote, and each has good and bad.  But there is nothing to compare with his magnum opus, a story that makes other popular fantasy literature seem like pale reflections at best.   So for the influence, the enjoyment, and the sheer depth of the literary undertaking that stands almost as its own genre, thanks for everything!  And Happy Eleventy-Ninth Birthday!

3 comments:

  1. I am the opposite of you. I have always enjoyed science fiction and fantasy, but I admit I am not a fan of Tolkien's works. I was always troubled by the idea that entire races were either good, better, or evil simply because they were of that race. I know such thinking was common in his day, but that was a characteristic of his story that was insurmountable to me. I just couldn't get around it and enjoy the rest. But his influence in the genre I do enjoy cannot be denied, so I'll join you in raising a glass of elven wine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love LOTR on so many levels. It is a beautifully written work, but it is also a picture of love and faithfulness. Samwise the dutiful servant who would go to the ends of the world for his Master Frodo shows faithful love and devotion. The love of the people for their land and for others that they would willingly sacrifice themselves just to give two little hobbits the chance to maybe reach their goal.
    Ah I could keep going, but only in a setting with such distinct good and evil (remembering that not all humans were good or bad) could such a poignant story be told.

    Peace to you Professor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tolkien was a great writer and a profound Catholic thinker. Cheers and happy birthday JRRT.

    -BenHeard

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts