Thursday, April 19, 2018

Humor, Chik Fil A and the Starbucks scandal

First, the humor.  Yep.  As I said, the national press and late night comedians are dutifully not reporting this as a sideline bit of humor.  Their job is to prop up, not critique, anything to the left of center that could make liberalism look bad.  And the sheer dumb of the editorial would make anything look bad. 

Instead, we're hearing daily and multiple stories about the Starbucks kerfuffle that, as of the latest, will result in 8000 Starbucks stores shutting down for a day to require mandatory diversity training.  I'll assume the racist store manager in question, who has long been let go, did it solely because the gentlemen were black.  I hope so.  The CEO said on CBS, when asked by Gayle King, that he was sure the reason the manager took the actions she did was because they were black.  I'll assume the manager had confessed.

Was the manager wrong?  Did she violate company policy?  Has that never happened to white people?  I have no idea.  I know there are restaurants that won't let you use the restroom if you're not a paying customer despite your race, but don't know if that's Starbuck's policy.  It's as if the press has felt no compunction to actually look at all sides of this story, or bother to present them.  As soon as the video went viral, guilt was assumed and, more importantly, acted upon.  Those stories I've found that look to the manger are simply going back through the manager's life and finding possible examples of racist thinking.

I'm not saying she wasn't guilty, didn't do everything wrong, didn't do it because they were black, or that Starbucks shouldn't have responded.  Again, there has been little coverage of the other side of the story to go on.  But 8000 stores closing for mandatory training? There is something behind, or under, it all that is ... creepy.  It puts me in mind of this:


Not that the themes are exactly the same.  But I feel there is something similar between what is going on in our society today, as shown in these tales of two restaurant chains and what Serling was warning us about in that episode (one of his most heavy handed episodes to be sure).   Perhaps it's because in a discussion about the Starbucks issue I heard someone use the term 'reeducation.'  Child of the Cold War that I am, that's bound to evoke a mental image on my part.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts