Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Did Comey say what I think he said?

I'm not a lawyer, though my second oldest wants to be one.  So I guess that, plus episodes of Matlock I caught in a bar one night with the volume off, make me somewhat qualified. 

But did Comey say this:
“It is entirely possible that, because I was making decisions in an environment where Hillary Clinton was sure to be the next president, my concern about making her an illegitimate president by concealing the restarted investigation bore greater weight than it would have if the election appeared closer or if Donald Trump were ahead in all polls.”
To my amateur Matlock ears, that sounds as if he was saying his decision making was based, not entirely on the law, but also on helping Hillary's inevitable presidency look good.  I mean, if it looks illegitimate because of some legal snafu, so be it.  It sure didn't hold people back when George W. Bush finally got the nomination in 2001.  No concerns about it making him look legitimate or not.  You did what you needed to do, looks be damned. 

I'm sorry, but apart from the fact that his book appears to show that Trump's childish, bratty and boorish ways are not confined to Trump, some of what he has said sounds like he was making decisions based on how it might or might not make Hillary look.

Forgive my legal ignorance, but isn't that wrong?  Is the FBI supposed to be about propping up or tearing down any president or presidential candidate?  I thought it was just about enforcing the law.  Silly old me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts