Saturday, April 3, 2021

The lukewarm Laodiceans

And to the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write, ‘These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God: I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth.  Because you say, ‘I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing’— and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked—I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent. Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”   Revelation 3.14-22

On this Holy Saturday, while Christ was in the tomb quite dead, it’s worth pondering this.  I’ve often thought this was the seed that was strangled by the thorns and thistles of life. The ones trudging through, spinning a fine Christian yarn on most Sundays and the odd special holy day, but Monday through Friday, from eight until about six in the evening, it’s atheism and materialism and worldly values all the way.   It’s the kind of compromise that leaves us forever with one foot on both the ship and the dock, even as the barque pulls ever further away from the worldly pier.  This especially hurts in our nation, where no matter what we're seeing in terms of godlessness and evil, so many American Christians still take comfort in the fact that we are rich, wealthy and have need of nothing. 

The imagery is not pretty, given that this is probably where many are who otherwise wouldn’t tolerate heresy or false teachings, or support or indulge in sexual debauchery and decadence during such a time as our era of AIDS.  And yet, in refusing to yield on those fronts, it doesn’t mean we are still burning with passion, but rather are tied and twisted in the things of this world.  Note the shocking statement that the Lord would rather us be altogether on the opposite side of the road from the Truth.  Better that than meandering around the middle of the road, where one can be squashed like a grape.  And note the verbiage: I will vomit you out of My mouth.  Being lukewarm is not an option.  It is not a viable alternative to full-blown blasphemy or apostasy.  There is one way, the narrow way.  Any other, including halfway between two camps, merely leads to destruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts