Monday, November 14, 2011

You know the GOP has done something screwy

When their stance on torture has made the fact that President Obama calls water boarding 'torture' news.  Twenty years ago, would anyone have said differently? I can't figure out why, why, why so many in the conservative/GOP movement have hitched their wagons to defending torture.  No, strike that.  Not just defending, but proudly advocating and celebrating it.  I mean, geeesh.  If I was going to condone it, defend it, say it was needed since terrorists basically throw the rules of war out the window and base their entire grand strategic overviews on things condemned by every modern civilized state, I would like to think I'd hang my head in shame.  I'd do it in behind closed doors, in whispered tones and hushed voices.  In candlelight.  Behind the crates in the corner. 

But no.  Hell no.  The only party with a chance for stopping Obama's disastrously inept presidency has decided it will grab the pompoms and give a shout of joy for what we used to associate with the Vietcong, the Gestapo, the KGB, the Chinese Communists.  This is stuff that American Indians did that used to be a blight on their claim to the moral high ground (at least for non-multiculturalists).  So why do they have to cheer?  Why do Limbaugh, O'Reilly, Bachmann, Cain and others have to act as if it's a badge of honor that they want this to be our policy?  It does make voting for a third party candidate seem more appealing by the hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts