Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Paul Krugman explains

The modern, or perhaps post-modern, approach to learning:  I know they have nothing valuable to say.   Do I read what they have to say?  No.  Of course not.  I know they have nothing valuable to say, so why read what they have to say?

Some atheists are also good at that approach.  I know religion is bunk, so why study it? Ironically, it's a very classic fundamentalist stereotype approach to being informed.  The only book I need is the Bible!  The only things I need to read are the things I know aren't worthless!

 And yet the popular narrative is that it's conservatives and religious types who are against learning.  No, apart from the aforementioned fundamentalist stereotypes, we're not.  We're against that type of learning that says 'since I already know I'm right, why bother listening to what people who are wrong have to say?'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts