Saturday, June 1, 2019

I dare you to forget this

If you listen to it through to the end:


I'm the last person in the world to know anything about contemporary music.  The most recent popular release I own is Santana's Supernatural.  But this strange tune crossed my plate last night, and I've not been able to get it out of my head since.  The odd video and eclectic appearance of the group, called The Dead South, doesn't help in pushing it out of my memory.  I'm no bluegrass fan, but I can tell its obvious influence, and there's a little bit of Dylan in those lyrics, albeit with modern explicitness, if I'm not mistaken.

Good luck.

2 comments:

  1. I could swear I've heard this song before or at least that style of music video but can't find it in my youtube history.

    Thanks for the song, Dave. I'm actually kind of enjoying this bit of pop bluegrass that's enjoying popularity. Like Mumford & Sons. You can also find bluegrass versions of metal songs like Thunderstruck which are quite the earworm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's odd, my wife saw this as we were chilling the other night and said 'let's watch this.' No clue at all who they were, what they were, what the music was. But I'll be darned if I could get that tune out of my head. Plus the video had, I'll admit, a certain 'hook' to it. I caught the bluegrass influence, and as I said the lyrics are clearly of a Dylan pedigree. We might look into them a bit more. My wife's more country than I am, so you never know. Sometimes old dogs do learn new tricks.

      Delete

Let me know your thoughts