Friday, October 4, 2024

A special day

Today is the Feast of St. Francis, my patron saint.  I've written about him many times over the years. He was one of those 'anchor' figures for me.  Even in my secular, agnostic, trying to be an atheist days, I conceded St. Francis was quite the fellow.  Though it's worth noting I was never an unbeliever who tried to insist all believers were stupid or in some way wretched and evil.  For instance, I didn't care for the type to insist Mother Theresa was really a racist con.  But then I've always rejected our modern age's tendency to find any way to tear down the good guys while bending over backwards to find excuses for the bad guys so we don't have to confront them.

Because of that, as a non-believer I could still admire St. Francis.  And as a Protestant, including pastor, I had no problem referencing him, mentioning him in sermons, or even having those famous prayers attributed to him hanging in my office. 

So when I entered the Church, it took me all of half a second to figure out who my patron saint would be.  No matter how crazy it has been since we became Catholic, I admit going back to Saint Francis, sometimes more than anything else, is a small place of refuge for me.  Becoming Catholic having made the relationship more than merely gazing at a framed prayer on a wall.  

As a bonus, it's also Ship in a Bottle day! Like you didn't know that.  For those envious of perhaps the most difficult hobby in the history of hobbies, here's an envy inducing little video for your viewing pleasure:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts