Thursday, September 29, 2022

Looking at clouds that way

On this Michaelma, or Feast of the Archangels.  


I wrote a bit on Michaelmas in the early years of the  blog.  I noted that in the old countries, Michaelmas was as much a seasonal signpost as Labor Day or Memorial Day is for us today. 

Therefore it is now the official start of fall for the Griffeys.  And nothing says Fall to me more than those deep, low hanging clouds that remain fixtures on the horizon until, well, Spring.  One of my earliest posts reflected on how those dark autumnal clouds capture the right aesthetic for me, and the reason that might be the case. 

The above pictures were over the last few days, when Global Warming caused the temperatures to plunge and really bring out that autumn chill.  At that point you just can't avoid conjuring up images of bonfires, apple cider, cornstalks and things that go bump in the night.  So happy Fall - now it's official!

2 comments:

  1. I also enjoy the season of Fall quite a lot, for various reasons. One reason is actually the melancholy it brings. I think the clouds you mention here are a part of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. I wrote on a similar idea some years ago: https://davidgriffey.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-inscrutable-lure-of-autumn.html

      Delete

Let me know your thoughts