Monday, January 3, 2011

Scientists advise: More Narcissism!

Scientists once more make me wonder why we worship the science profession as we do.  A civilization weaned on the glories of self focus and radical individualism is dying.  Marriage rates are down.  Birth rates are down.  And we're on our way out.  Everyone knows it and admits it.  But there are still those who appeal to our basest, most animal instincts for pure self.  Not content with the age old talk show psychobabble that has assured generations of couples that they owe it to themselves to put their marriage above all other priorities, researchers now realize that's not enough.  Focusing on a marriage is still including someone else.  No, their 'research' (and boy do I use that term lightly) now shows that a person has to put himself or herself above all other things, including the spouse. Only by focusing on self above all things can true happiness then swing around and lead to happier marriages.  Of course those silly fools who stay married for such quaint reasons as religion or children fly in the face of human=animal morality that so many scientists pedal in.  That many who live according to such standards may not have as happy marriage is likely because those who focus on self make up the bulk of divorce rates, and therefore aren't in 'unhappy' marriages.  It's a circular form of logic that tells people what they want to hear, all compliments of folks with lab coats that makes them smarter than everyone else.  It is a delicious scientific discovery:  focus on yourself above all things, and there you will find true happiness.  It's a lie we've been peddling for generations to a society that has accepted it to the damnation of its posterity.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas celebration. It's lines like this that bring me back to your blog:

    "It's a lie we've been peddling for generations to a society that has accepted it to the damnation of its posterity."

    This is the problem with science today. So much scientific research is so narrow, it fails to grasp the obvious problems that anyone can see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a sad commentary on life today. Oh I believe we need to focus on ourselves, but not in the way they mean. We should always watch what we do, how we speak, what we say, etc and make sure that we are thinking of (in the case of marriage) our spouse and our relationship to them first and foremost. That will often mean sacrificing what "I" want for something "he"
    wants or something "we" want. The saying should not be the "I" before "we" excepted after "he". It should be "I" and "me" is always after "he" and "we".

    I know that last was a little cumbersome but I was trying to make the point that I am happiest when I make sure my husband is happy.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts