Thursday, August 24, 2023

The only thing worse than Sam Rocha's post about Robert E. Lee

 Is that it had 75 likes and 8 reposts:


This is standard leftwing boilerplate. Simply make an accusation, no matter how demonstrably false.  I can't think of anyone I've ever met who denies seeing racism or argues there is no definition of white supremacy.  When that accusation is made, typically it means someone who has failed to conform 100% to Left-think.

Of course Rocha goes after Robert E. Lee, as if Lee and Racist White Supremacy are one and the same.  Like Donald McClarey, it sickens me what the Marxists* have done to history in the West. Typical, but sickening nonetheless. 

In any event, as one who has seen racism, and studied enough history to know white supremacy when I see it, I can assure him I deny neither.  I also admire Lee, because as a non-leftist Christian, I am bound by ideals of forgiveness, reconciliation, humility and not casting stones too speedily.  Those ideas which, until recently, were safety bumpers for the West, no matter how many would have liked to see our approach to those past sinners be what the Left has made it today. 

But as I have said before, in my recollection there is no movement in recent times more self-righteously judgmental, intolerant or close minded than the modern Left.  Which explains the 75 likes and 8 reposts.  Though the low quality of the post from a paid professor also explains the dismal knowledge base of our modern educated generations.  


*Given the growing library of posts, articles, and editorials extolling the virtues of Marx, Marxism, communism and comparing communist countries favorably to the US and the West while calling hellfire down on capitalist imperialism as the source of all evil in our modern world, I think it's safe to start calling a spade a spade.  I'm not saying they could all pass a graduate exam on the writings of Marx or communist thought.  It's enough that the influence is clearly there and a motivating factor. After all, consider the speed with which you are accused of being a fascist, white supremacist, racist, or white nationalist merely for questioning a liberal pronouncement.  I think, given the low bar they have established for being called a white supremacist fascist, Marxist is easily a fair appraisal of what we're seeing today. 

9 comments:

  1. No need to explain yourself, Dave. Since Sam set up the standard that extoling anything nice about Lee makes you racist/white supremist/whatever, then the very fact that they often say nice things about Marx, Lenin, Stalin, et al makes them full on Marxists. If they want to establish the standard that you cannot talk about anyone like Lee without constantly bringing up his faults otherwise that's endorsement, then Sam Rochas' repeated bringing up of Marxists without their faults makes them endorsers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might work. But I've learned one of the best weapons in the leftwing arsenal is the ability to apply standards to others while openly refusing to apply those standards to themselves. Perhaps he would openly embrace Marx. But he could just as easily dismiss such a consistent application of the rules.

      Delete
  2. Did Lee ever repudiate his white supremacist views or ask for forgiveness? To my knowledge, no. I'm not sure what there is to admire about a traitorous, white supremacist, slave owning individual who devoted his life to maintaining that very status quo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Tom New Poster)
      Gee, Anonymous (notice I use my real name), must be great to be such a morally superior person in such a morally-superior age. That's for starters.
      Robert E. Lee was never charged with treason, so he's not a traitor under a Constitution that requires conviction in a court of law for the use of such a term. Lee also denounced any attempts to continue the war and urged reconciliation between North and South (a thing that strangely escapes so many modern liberals, who also forget other Constitutional provisions, such as against ex post facto). When his fellow Episcopalians would not approach Communion because a black man was kneeling at the rail, Lee knelt next to him. There is nothing in his actions after the war that suggest that he was less than an honorable man.
      Please stop use WWII (and it Hollywood depictions) as somehow a model for all conflicts. Every opponent is not a Nazi, nor every enemy general a Hitler.

      Delete
    2. Anon, you didn't even bother looking up quotes, did you?

      "Madam, don't bring up your sons to detest the United States government. Recollect that we form one country now. Abandon all these local animosities, and make your sons Americans." -Advice to a Confederate widow who expressed animosity towards the northern U.S. after the end of the American Civil War

      "I think it is the duty of every citizen, in the present condition of the Country, to do all in his power to aid in the restoration of peace and harmony. It is particularly incumbent upon those charged with the instruction of the young to set them an example." -Letter to trustees.

      "In this enlightened age, there are few I believe, but what will acknowledge, that slavery as an institution, is a moral & political evil in any Country." -Letter to his wife, Mary Anne Lee

      "Mr. Blair, I look upon secession as anarchy. If I owned the four millions of slaves in the South, I would sacrifice them all to the Union; but how can I draw my sword upon Virginia, my native State?" -Responding to Francis Preston Blair after he relayed an offer to make Lee major-general to command the defense of Washington D.C.

      "It is well that war is so terrible, otherwise we should grow too fond of it." -Comment to James Longstreet

      "What a cruel thing is war; to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world! I pray that, on this day when only peace and good-will are preached to mankind, better thoughts may fill the hearts of our enemies and turn them to peace. … My heart bleeds at the death of every one of our gallant men." -Letter to his wife on Christmas Day, two weeks after the Battle of Fredericksburg

      "So far from engaging in a war to perpetuate slavery, I have rejoiced that slavery is abolished. I believe it will be great for the interests of the south. So fully am I satisfied with this, as regards Virginia especially, that I would cheerfully have lost all I have lost by the war, and have suffered all I have suffered, to have this object attained." -Statement to John Leyburn

      Delete
    3. Quite frankly Anon - you disgust me. I understand the US ideal of "innocent until proven guilty" is a challenging one to hold personally but your kind who are so quick to presume guilt and then blind and deafen yourselves to evidence of innocence and nuance truly carry on in the spirit of the most Puritanical witch hunters.

      Delete
    4. Anon, first adding an actual name or such helps. If more than one 'Anon' posts, it's tough to keep track. Second, as a Christian, I must reject that approach to defining people of the past by their sins and mercilessly condemning and erasing them. As a history major, I also reject the presentism that has become all the rage on the Left. It dehumanizes to swipe away the whole life of a person in order to suggest he is some discount Hitler, ignoring what he did that was praiseworthy, and focusing only on an ever growing list of irredeemable sins. The ignoring of such positive virtues in those of the past in order to so malign them might also be why we see so little positive virtues today.

      Delete
    5. "...As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us. "
      I'm glad it's God who will judge me and not man.

      Delete
    6. BobB, I fear that passage has become almost anathema to the modern Left, where people are identified by their sins, defined by their sins, and eradicated due to their sins. Forgiveness, reconciliation and redemption have no place in that sort of approach.

      Delete

Let me know your thoughts