Wednesday, February 29, 2012

RIP Davey Jones

I just saw that Davey Jones, of the musical ensemble The Monkees, died today. They were a bit before my time, having a show that lasted only two seasons right at the time of my birth. I remember seeing reruns on Saturdays (I think) when I was little.

They made their biggest impression on me in 1986, when they came back with their first reunion tour sans Mike Nesmith. Their album Then and Now, The Best of the Monkees, the round the clock play that MTV gave to their TV episodes, the release of Daydream Believer in video that was played as often as any other video at that time (back when MTV played videos), all hold for me some fond memories. I've actually posted one of those, when they did a Christmas medley (on MTV no less!), that included a surprise appearance by Mr. Nesmith.

I'm sorry to hear this, and prayers for his family. I was not a huge fan, but in truth, when the dust settled, I considered their music more listenable and enjoyable than much that was seen as cool and hip in its day. RIP Mr. Jones, and thanks for the memories.  One more time, from the memories of that period of my life with which you will forever be inextricably linked:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts