Friday, February 19, 2016

RIP Harper Lee


Author of one of my favorite books of all time.  Who wasn't assigned To Kill a Mockingbird in school?  I read it and couldn't get enough of it.  I still will pick it up and read through it every now and then. I read it to my sons.  I've read it just for the joy and amazement of how a person with no experience could craft such a power, fun, deep, meaningful, and important work.  That for the longest time this was her only book was the stuff of legend.  I sort of wish it would have stayed that way. 

But she got the country to thinking, and gave us an example of the right way and the wrong way to handle bigotry and discrimination.  Sadly, sometimes I feel that her book, like Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., has become an idol for people who otherwise have no intention of listening to the teachings or learning from the stories. 

Thanks for all you gave us.  Peace be with you and yours, and may the Lord keep you and welcome you who gave so much with so little.  Requiéscant in pace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts