I'm usually skeptical about this sort of history. The old 'How hemorrhoids changed history', in terms of the supposed impact that particular condition had on Napoleon during the Battle of Waterloo. The real origins of Halloween. That sort of thing. Trying to make simplistic sweeps about some historical development or event and explain it all in a bottle.
Nonetheless, it isn't to say such approaches are always wrong or bring nothing to the table. I simply figure there is more to it than what the article shows; other explanations, and other answers. This might be one small idea in a bucket of ideas worth considering.
And it was fun. As I wrote here, there are reasons haunted houses exist and we are drawn to them. And no, the article here doesn't suggest Victorian houses were the basis for the idea. That idea of haunted locations goes well beyond the emergence of Victorianism.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Let me know your thoughts