Thursday, November 24, 2022

A Thanksgiving post


A nice article recapping that famous story of the pilgrims. It focuses on Edward Winslow, whose account of the Plymouth Colony's first year is an eyewitness source for that famous dinner story. 

I was going to write about all the different takes, attacks, celebrations and musings on this holiday.  I thought of pointing out how this is the way modernity wins against tradition every time.  But I decided to leave it go. 

I've tried this week to focus on what I'm thankful for.  To that end, I've avoided almost everything beyond books and family and church and home.  I have kept up with a few worthwhile websites.  But I've attempted to keep focused upwards.  

There will be time to take note of things down the road.  And we are called to be in the world, not remove ourselves from it.  Nonetheless, if the first pilgrims and friends could celebrate after their dumpster fire experiences of the previous year, I certainly can.  In fact, it reminds us that the best level of gratitude happens when our thankfulness is not bound by temporary circumstances.  Happy Thanksgiving. 

Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.  1 Thessalonians 5:16-19

2 comments:

  1. (I think you forgot the link, Dave)
    Have a happy Thanksgiving, Dave! We always have plenty to be thankful for. May you and yours be richly blessed this holiday season and every season.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts