Saturday, October 3, 2020

Burns Sears Burn

Me talking to Sears customer service
So Sears is nearing its much deserved end.  Once a titan of American commerce and the retail giant of all retail giants, Sears is down to only a few dozen stores left open.  The new big game seems to be investors and market watchers betting if this is the year Sears finally gets nailed in the coffin.

I must say, good riddance.  Two years ago we purchased a dishwasher from Sears and, as of now, we have yet to have a working dishwasher.  We also had purchased a washer and dryer from them many ages ago.  To this day, the dryer is still not working properly.  And that's after I purchased extended protection plans for the warranties. 

The reason?  Lousy customer service and, to be honest, I'm guessing Sears is hoping it can drag things out and not have to give us anything else.  Week after month has gone with broken promises, poor customer relations, no callbacks or follow ups, and endless dozens - perhaps by now, hundreds - of hours on hold, on chats, on forums trying to get the situation resolved.

Last month the replacement dishwasher was supposed to be delivered, only to see the wrong appliance delivered instead.  So the actual dishwasher replacement was moved back another whole month to this last Wednesday.  On a lark, I decided to call to verify that the delivery was on and all was going to finally happen with the delivery. And - you'll never believe it - turns out they don't have the dishwasher in question and they'll have to kick it back to sometime in October.

After hours of chats and phone calls, I finally got connected to the ones in charge of all this and was more or less told 'sorry about your luck.'  Though the rep pointed out she never said any such thing, I informed her that was her attitude.  Basically, if I wanted to do the footwork, I could always find a different dishwasher that might be in stock, go through everything myself. and it might get here sooner.  Or might not.  Or I could suck on it and wait for the one that may or may not ever come. 

That's Sears.  A far cry from the retailer my Dad swore by back in the day.  A far cry from the store my Dad would patronize when it came to its batteries, auto service and, of course, Craftsman Tools.  Heck, it's a far cry from the Sears I first dealt with in the first decades of my adult life.  

And it deserves to die.  Few seemed to really care about fixing the problem, and Sears has no provisions for fixing anything.  It is as if it just isn't trying.  Why is that?  I don't know.  Somewhere, the great promise of Capitalism - that it would lead to better innovation, better products, better services, and competitive prices while encouraging the best and brightest employees for that corporate edge, has fallen on its butt.  

Today, the Marketplace is about giving the least possible for the most imaginable.  It's about cutting corners, slicing service, and minimizing quantity.  It's about putting the screws to as many employees as possible.  And it's about sucking up to whoever has the money, and if that means encouraging something like the United States - that might block such aspirations - to die, so be it. 

One big claim made by defenders of Capitalism and the purity of the free market is that government is inefficient, and the market is all about success and profit, and therefore efficient. Perhaps in some age of bygone days age that boasted residue from that Protestant Work Ethic, that was true.  But I've worked in large, multi-billion dollar corporations, and I've dealt with such corporations, and I can assure you that today there is little difference between government and private sector where efficiency is concerned.  And if outcome is the decider, tell me when the last time that American industry and innovation was the envy of the world.  Given what I've experienced in dealing with these companies, I have a hard time believing it's all the government's fault. 

Personally, after watching things for years, I wouldn't mind seeing more vast, corporate interests go the way of the Sears-like dinosaurs.  I'm more and more convinced that the great multi-zillion dollar global interests are as antithetical to a competitive market as any intrusive government interest.  In fact, the two often seem impossible to distinguish. 

Of course there is little I can do about my own problem.  I either suck on it and wait until we get a replacement or I bite the bullet and buy the appliances from another retailer, assuming any other cares more than Sears.  Such is the problem in the modern retail marketplace.  Ages ago, I would go down to the shop and confront the craftsman or merchant face to face.  Today, I speak to someone somewhere out in the world who apparently isn't the least bit interested in helping because she has nothing to lose by merely echoing her employer's own apathy regarding its customers.  Costumers who, it seems, are best for the bottom line when they are reduced to as low as you can go. 

Thus, the legacy of Capitalism:

Really, when was the last time you pulled up to a service station and had an army of workers jump out and clean, service and check your car while they put gas in the tank?  And have gas prices gone down with the shaving away of such services?  Since Wall Street and Corporate America have joined to destroy the American experiment, its freedoms and liberties, and are openly making war on the Church and its teachings, the clinging to the marketplace and the high ideals of Capitalism as the path to salvation is one that will challenge the most credulous of us, if you think on it. 

9 comments:

  1. Free markets are actually a lot more friendly to small businesses than big ones. Big government is a friend to big business. Costs of complying with regulations nearly always fall a lot harder on small businesses than big ones. In truth, big business is an adaptation to rising compliance costs.

    Minimum wage increases always hit small businesses harder. Rising minimum wages cause a company to adapt in one of three ways -- automate, cut down on the workforce, or push jobs onto the customers. You could still have a team of guys running out of the garage to pump your gas, check your oil and tires, top off your radiator, and wash your windshield, but you'd have to pay them at least $7.25 an hour, and in many jurisdictions, $15.00. Are you willing to pay all those guys, when you buy your gas? Or are you going to go across the street, where gas is less? I won't go out of my way for cheap gas, but I do sure keep track of prices, and buy from the cheapest provider on my route.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I notice that the bigger and bigger the fewer and fewer corporations become, the more difficult it is for smaller businesses to scrape by. And nothing the government does ever seems to change that. I think it's the reason that the individual can do little to the corporation at this stage. So Sears shafted us. And? What can we do, and what does Sears care. But the small business owner would have to care, just like the small business owner has no choice but comply to this or that government regulation, while Sears can afford to cut corners because even a million dollar government fine is small potatoes next to what it saved by cutting corners.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your article made me glad I buy my older, used appliances at a little local appliance store down the road. I can go in and talk to them. I am cheap, and hate paying full price for brand new appliances, the big kind.

    There is an article from many years back titled, "The Market as God". I link it here. Looking it up to post it, I found out the author wrote a book with the same title.

    https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1999/03/the-market-as-god/306397/

    P.S. Love the airline photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked them too. Yes, if we had an option like that, we'd take it. As it is, we went to Home Depot who, at least as of now, came through more than Sears. We bought a bottom of the dishwasher and it's already delivered and installed.

      Delete
  4. Well this article hits me pretty personally on two levels. So i'm going to split those up into 2 comments to avoid putting a small book here. (also, meant to comment earlier but been busy)

    Back in 1993, I got to visit Moscow, Russia. That's only 4 years after the wall fell and let me tell you, 4 years is not enough to recover from communism.

    Capitalism isn't perfect (how can it be, it's run by humans?), but it is far, FAR better than the alternative. Having seen the evils the alternative brings, I will gladly deal with the evils of capitalism because it is still a far sight better.

    But evils nonetheless - and this shouldn't really be a surprise to us as anything not serving Christ will become. However one thing that bugs me is that conservatives often buy into the liberal theory that systems can fix people, when a core tenet of our philosophy is expressly that they cannot. I've quoted before the phrase, "capitalism is to greed what marriage is to lust" not just because it is an apt metaphor of an institution harnessing and making use of our human failings, but also because giving up on it and declaring it failed is as fair as saying we must give up on marriage and it has failed as an institution because some people get divorced or some spouses are abused.

    In 1309, cane sugar sold for 2 shillings a pound in London, which was equivalent to a worker's full salary. Two days ago I bought a pound of pure sugar at the store for a dollar and change. Even at minimum wage that's the equivalent of about 10 minutes of work. Yeah, there's evil to be found - because it's filled with people and we're right bastards. But we live in an age of miracles too. Just because not everything is working out as promised, doesn't mean we're still not richly blessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the whole, I think capitalism has been the best the world has offered, which usually means so-so. Like many things, it works when buttressed by a host of other things (like that old rascally Protestant work ethic). Strip those away, and it becomes like the old knife illustration: good when used by a doctor, bad when used by a mugger. I think where conservatives - especially Christians - went wrong was confusing defending capitlism with defending the marketplace and corporate interests. I remember in my ministry days, there were those who would swing into action and defend any backlash against Wall Street or this or that corporation (especially the old traditional ones) as if that was defending Capitalism. It turned out, when the bottom line is the end all consideration for something, when that bottom line is best served by wrecking everything - including Capitalism - then that's what will happen. And that seems to be just what did happen.

      Delete
  5. (second bit)
    Believe it or not, about 10 years ago I worked at Sears for a few months.

    As an appliance salesman.

    (if this gets me banned from your blog, Dave, I understand and that's fair)

    It is one of the few jobs I well and truly hated - and before that I worked Toys R Us during the holiday season. My parents have joked I put a hex on Sears after that as I would never go there and flip off any I drove by.

    What made it bad was just a cascade of tiny annoyances along with less than stellar management. My job was straight commission which meant I only got paid if I sold stuff. I was actually fine with this and more annoyed at government minimum wage complicating things. What bugged me is that it ALL fell on me. So, to use your example, say I sold you a laundry set. Well on the delivery to your house, the delivery guys screw up and install it wrong - or even damage it in the install. You get mad and return it (which is fair), who gets money taken out of their paycheck? Me! At that point I was ready to deliver the appliances myself and install them on my own but that wasn't allowed. Somehow I had all the accountability of pleasing you, the customer, but had no responsibility or rights to accomplish it.

    This and a few other factors just made the job a steady wear on the soul - and I didn't mind being a salesman, even sold a few washers & dryers. (My developed method was to show the customer the top of the line product with all available features, then we'd start eliminating things you didn't need until we found something that fit you and your budget.) The corporate training videos kept pitching to us the importance of customer service, but then they would never give us any way to actually provide it.

    So yeah, color me not surprised the company's dead and sign me up for the party on the grave.

    For appliances? I would actually recommend trying to find something smaller and local. Jordan B Peterson once commented that maybe the problem isn't "big government" or "big business" - maybe the problem is "big" and that there's eventually a point something is too large for its own good. Having dealt with a lot of different sized businesses on both sides of the equation (and trying to start my own) I think there's a lot of truth in that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes perfect sense actually as to why things are they way they are at Sears. One thing I noticed is that Sears has absolutely no means for fixing a problem. It has a set of policies and procedures and that's that. If anything happens outside of those, there is nothing Sears does. It can't improvise. It can't circumvent things. Even now, we sit and wait because there has been another problem somewhere in the 400 step process. And in that process are multiple departments, none of which have any idea what the others are doing. All in all, a hot mess and one Sears clearly decided wasn't worth fixing. Or saving.

      Delete

Let me know your thoughts