Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Call me a Toklien heretic

But I still think John Huston would have been the greatest Gandalf:


Not that Sir Ian does a bad job.  But it's not Sir Ian.  Yes, the picture looks more like it as he's getting older, especially with the beard. But as Sir Ian explains here, he's just acting the part (complete with prosthetics and altered voices).  On the other hand, look at John Huston in the first picture!  That was him.  That's what he looked like.  Toss on a wig, bush up the eyebrows, and you have Gandalf.  And that voice, that Huston-voice that held no rivals:



I see a more robust and dynamic Gandalf to be sure.  Again, love the job Sir Ian did, but have always wondered about a movie in which Mr. Huston donned the grey and white. Hat tip to Mr. Winchester for the link.  It just so happened the other day my boys and I were in a deep philosophical debate about the differences that Mr. Huston might have brought to the part.

1 comment:

Let me know your thoughts