Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A put on?

You decide.  In a post in which the discussion is about, well, something to do with good bloggers vs. bad ones, this was posted:
I appreciate [....]'s labels and stereotypes because they are often helpful in holding up a mirror to others in the hope that they will recognize themselves. I reject the notion that all stereotypes are bad or false. Some stereotypes exist because……they’re true.
I'm still trying to work it out. Certainly the commenter couldn't be that unaware.  Was this sarcasm?  I mean, the irony would be the stereotypes of Catholics such a statement would reinforce.  So I'm still prepared to assume it's meant in jest.  Lord I hope it's meant in jest. If it weren't for others' similar resounding cheers to such things, I'd automatically smack it down as humor.

2 comments:

  1. CRAP! The spambots are becoming self-aware! (really, dave, why are you racist against spambots)

    Or he's talking about these stereotypes.
    http://cheezburger.com/5802630912

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's actually going on over at Mark's site with what has to be the strangest series of contrition posts I've witnessed, which sees some form of apology because certain people were wronged, with reinforcing the very things apologized for, and receiving no end of praise and adoration for continuing all the things apologized for while at the same time reinforcing why such broad brushstrokes, generalizations, and stereotypes are just the thing for the serious Catholic. Geeesh. I thought I saw strange back in my ministry days.

    Sometimes I wonder if Internet Apologists understand that being an apologist is a full-time ministry, not something you can wade into and out of whenever you feel like it (which is one of many reasons I've never called this a blog, or myself an apologist).

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts