Saturday, December 30, 2023

Family fun and frivolity

So I will be away over the New Year holiday, with one notable upcoming exception later today.  And no, it won't be about Governor DeWine's embrace of transgenderism with knife placed gratuitously in the back of common sense and morality.  By now, if you are surprised when Republicans stab conservatives, the nation and its values in the back, you haven't been paying attention.

No, it will be about something else.  Meanwhile, after that post, I'll be gone until next week.  In the meantime, yesterday was a fun one.  Through much wrangling, my sons will at least have New Year's Eve off, and my married son will be coming over along with our daughter-in-law.  It is a custom for us to cap off the week following Christmas proper with what we call a 'Spread.'  That is, an expanded charcuterie board before they were a thing.

That comes from my mom BTW.  When she was growing up, her mom - who I swear always wore an apron - would spend Christmas day cooking an elaborate feast.  Following the presents (which, given the Depression, was likely a speedy affair) she would retire to their tiny, narrow kitchen and that's where she would be for most of the day.  My mom said no way.  She would not do that on Christmas Day.  So it was sandwiches, chips, perhaps leftovers from Christmas Eve. 

We inherited that and it was a tradition my wife warmed up to quickly.  We've added to it over the years.  And for New Year's Eve, we bring back the spread, with extra goodies such as cooked meatballs and those little cocktail wieners dunked in a tangy sauce.  Veggies, chips, sandwich makings, leftovers from the previous dinners, drinks and sweet snacks abound.  

Then it's a rousing game of Scrabble as we await the new year. That's one of those traditions with a definite starting point. I first went out with my wife right before New Year's Eve in 1991.  I was alone in Florida, having just moved there.  Truth be told, she didn't seem particularly taken with me when I dropped her off at the end of our date.  I wasn't sure what my prospects were when I went home.  But she called the next day.  Apparently her mom - not the milquetoast type by any stretch - discovered I just moved to Florida and was by myself.  She would have none of it.  She insisted my wife invite me to their house, where their family from out of town had gathered for a big celebration.

Now, sitting down at a long table with an entire family of strangers is one thing.  When your future wife suddenly comes down with a  migraine and has to excuse herself, leaving you all alone with the room full of strangers, that's another.  Thank goodness for her grandmother.  And her sort of black sheep uncle, both of whom made me feel quite welcome.

They made me feel so welcome that when my wife was better, she joined the family Scrabble game, and invited me along.  The first time I ever played.  It wasn't a great performance on my part, but it set the stage for a tradition that has endured ever since.  It's not my favorite game, but traditions are traditions.  

Speaking of games: 

That's a biggie.  It's called Twilight Imperium.  It is like a game based on every game that has ever been published.  One of the anchor gifts for our board-game-guru third oldest, he has wanted to sit down and play through this game for the longest time.  Since his brother got married, it just hasn't been practical.  That's because in the best of days, you don't get through that game with less than 2/3 of a day at your disposal. 

But it was arranged well in advance.  The two with their bookstore have found various ways of getting the store's name out and increasing revenue.  One is a monthly 'board game night.'  It's been fairly popular.  It takes place on the last Friday of each month.  So this time, the boys make sure they all had this Friday off.  We met long before the store opened to set up (itself quite a task), and began playing before the business day proper.  We then played through the day, watching the store and giving our daughter-in-law a day off to run about and relax and have fun.  

Meanwhile we played, and played, and played.  It was about eleven hours later when the last turn ended and my third oldest barely squeaked by his next older brother for the win.  The two other brothers weren't in bad spots and, with another turn or two, might have clenched the win.  Nobody had any illusions about their old man, who was never a contender for victory.  It was the first time I played after all.  It isn't my cup of tea, but the chance to spend an entire day with the boys like olden days was not going to be passed up by me. I actually watched tutorial videos ahead of time.  

Ages ago, when we first moved to Ohio, our third was just born.  The older brothers were two and going on five.  We rented a duplex just north of town.  Next to our home was a retirement home.  In the home's grounds was a small gazebo.  One day we went over there with the boys, the youngest still in his carrier.  As my wife and I sat there, the two older playing on the rather unforgiving concrete, and the third watching from his carrier seat, I couldn't have asked for better time.  I told my wife then that if I could describe heaven, this would be it.  The only thing missing was our youngest, even if we didn't know it yet.

Yesterday, getting to spend the whole day with the brothers, was one of those 'all is right with the world' moments.  My wife busied herself around the home. Our daughter-in-law stopped by and helped bake cookies.  Even my mom asked to be part of the festivities.  Even if Ohio State lost, it was a fine time.  There was family, fun, and the boys.   Again, all was right with the world. 

Patiently waiting, contemplating, actively playing, 'what the heck are you doing!'

14 comments:

  1. My wife always trounces me at Scrabble, even though my vocabulary is much larger than hers. I keep looking for the biggest word that will give me lots of points; she patiently places small words in strategic locations. I never learn my lesson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The most famous game in our family was back in the late 1990s, when her parents visited. I was last place and all tiles were pulled. I agonized for over an hour until I finally saw it - Jogging on a triple word piggybacking on another high scoring word. That pole-vaulted me from last to first at the final.

      Delete
  2. Our family games are stuck in the "What do you Meme?" and Mad Libs realm currently, but they are fun to play! Even the 4 year old can participate!
    Your gazebo story reminds me of when my husband and I were renting, also a duplex, when our first two were little. There was a small park with a pond in walking distance, and one nice spring day we walked down there together. He held the baby as our toddler poked her finger in the pond looking at minnows. It was just a perfect moment, and I mused aloud that I wished we could just stay in it forever. My husband, thought a bit and then responded, "But then things could never get any better." He was right of course. I think we are at the end of our childbearing years now, but we've added 6 more on Earth and 2 in Heaven to our brood, and our youngest two are definitely family favorites. But I do think those moments are gifts, foreshadows of Heaven, usually in unexpected moments, but greatly welcomed! Glad you had one this Christmas season :) And what a fun family tradition!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have the four, and I wouldn't trade it for the world. Bittersweet parenting. Your job is to prepare the people you love more than anyone in the world to leave you. But the joy and memories you pick up along the way are priceless.

      Delete
    2. But if you did things right, they'll soon return with greater blessings of grandchildren. ^_^ What you sow, so shall you reap - and in sowing love and blessings, we can eventually find ourselves reaping a thousandfold return.

      Delete
    3. That's how we're seeing it now. We can't wait. It certainly changes the dynamic, but that's as it should be.

      Delete
  3. Ohio State! Now begins a short suggestion. The top college football powers should give up all pretentions of loyalty and tradition. Ohio St., Michigan, Penn St. Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Texas A&M, Texas, USC, etc, should just quit and create their own league. Call it Super Conference. Probably the best 30 teams and call it a day. The remainders and do what they to stay afloat and we can rid of ourselves of the slowly deteriorating landscape that was once regional college football.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son has pointed out that the reworking of the bowl game system and the championship designation n has all but wrecked the game of college football. Your suggestion isn't exactly crazy out of the ballpark. Something needs to happen, or I see it a done thing in another couple decades.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. FWIW, I can see part of the comment, just not all. I know you figured it out, but just saying it's still floating around there somewhere!

      Delete
    2. Weird. I thought I had gotten it and posted it. Then it seems to have vanished again? Oh well. Seems like y'all had an awesome time. I'm curious what the next mega game will be at the store. ;)

      Delete
    3. I saw one of my comments on another post vanished. Go figure. It is a flawed platform, I'll admit.

      Delete
  5. WordPress.com is arguably the best for blogging. Or substack? I'm partial to WordPress, you can move your entire library of posts on this blog to wordpress.com as well. Or simply put a forward in your last post on this blog to point to your new one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do I do that? I'm Flintstone era knowledge when it comes to these things.

      Delete

Let me know your thoughts