Friday, December 22, 2023

The Catholic Church and the latest

I'm sure we all have heard the news.  Pope Francis said that clergy can now bless same sex unions under certain circumstances and for certain reasons. 

It's funny.  Protestantism's biggest failing was not preventing the endless splits and divisions that arose after the Reformation.  Protestants would look at an issue, say they disagree with an issue, and it was off to start a new denomination.  

But Catholics are now doing the same thing.  Perhaps they have been for a long time. I don't know.  But there are clearly different Catholic Churches out there.  Just look at how people are reacting to this.  The news media aside, some are saying this latest development is wonderful. It's a major change in the right direction.  Others are saying it is no change at all. Still others are saying it is a change, but in the wrong direction. Some are saying the blessings have always been there, and in no way suggest the union is being blessed.  Others say this has always happened and is nothing new, that the Church has always been able to bless people in same sex unions.  While others are saying it is merely pastoral, which I suppose is meant to cover a multitude of sins. 

The only difference is, they aren't rushing out and starting their own denominations.  But the difference in how the Church is understood today between rival factions within it is no different than the difference between Baptists, Presbyterians and Lutherans within Protestantism.  Sure, there were some core agreements.  But the understanding of how the Faith actually should look and work were radically different.  Just like we see today in the Church. 

In September of 1999, while I was in the PhD program, I decided to take a big chance.  This was during the Mohler Revolution, and one of the developments of that movement was putting the kibosh on all that lovey ecumenical friendliness with Catholics that had happened in previous years.  That's what I reference when I point out Russ Moore's statements of endless adoration for Catholicism.  If he did have such high opinions of the Catholic Church back then, he kept them to himself as far as I know. For obvious reasons.   

It was a rainy September afternoon, and it was during a break between two seminars.  I went to a Catholic church that was just down from where we lived in student housing for families.  By then my two oldest were around (we would soon find out about our third son).  I went into the office and asked to talk to someone about the Catholic Faith. 

No clue just who the individual was.  She had her own office, I suppose something to do with education.  As is not uncommon, the church had a school attached.  I asked her to give me the skinny on just what Catholicism really believes.  What she said set me back for about a half dozen years.  

She said, in the end, Catholics believe all sorts of things.  It isn't something where you have to believe one thing.  The Church looks mighty different, depending on who you talk to. What one believes about Catholicism can be very different than what another believes, but that's just fine.  I was taken by that.  Why become Catholic?  I could stay Protestant and just denominationally window shop if that's the case.

Years later, after I came into the Church, I was working with the Coming Home Network.  We were at EWTN studios for reasons I can't recall.  It was there I met Kevin O'Brien, Mark Shea and several others.  They invited me to an after broadcast soiree.  While sharing wine and chocolates, Mark Shea sort of put me in front of the crowd and asked me to tell my tale.  When I got to the point above, I remember Mark's quip.  He said nobody works harder to keep people from becoming Catholic than Catholics.  And he was right in that regard.

He also would be correct now, if  he was commenting on the latest from Pope Francis.  It isn't that we are seeing people say Pope Francis just declared something and they think he is wrong.  They don't agree on what he declared. And increasingly they don't agree on what the Church has been doing about this topic since forever.  Even though it's right there for us to look at.  And Pope Francis is right here to clarify.  Yet we are seeing more divisions over this than any brawl between Methodists and Baptists from days gone by. That's supposed to be Catholicism's biggest selling point.  Unlike Protestants who endlessly quibble and divide over this and that core teaching, Catholics have a definite Magisterium with definite teachings that you can reject or accept, but which can't be denied.  Well, that isn't the case now, is it.  

I noticed something this year as we head into the Holidays.  At our local grocery store, the Salvation Army kettle has already been taken down.  I notice some stores, even days ago, are already tearing down the Christmas displays.  Halloween had a longer shelf life.  But is it any surprise that I noticed that the Salvation Army bell-ringers have already taken down their stations?  That some stores began days ago to take down their the Christmas sections?  

Either Christmas, and more to the point Christianity as a whole, is true or not, and our yes should be yes and no should be no in that regard.  When we don't just disagree on a statement, but disagree on what a statement says and what the Church is and has always been about, don't expect the result to be a society that is beating a path to the doors of the Church.  Just ask any Episcopalian or United Church of Christ pastor. 

Rather, expect what we are seeing, and that's a society that is tired of the whole Christmas season.  Not because of the noise or the toys, but because they no longer believe it is true.  That's because we in the Church can't agree about what is true that is right in front of us, and increasingly, what has been true for the past two thousand years. In an age of aggressive secularization and converting the faithful against the Faith, that's as good as hanging a 'Closed for Business' sign on the doors. 

14 comments:

  1. This is what it means to have the wheat and the tares growing together. Our church is a church of sinners. Pull out the sinners and we probably have no church left. As distressing as it is seeing what is happening in our church we need to understand that this has happened before. Many times. Dissension is nothing new but that doesn't mean we need to stress over it. Christ is the head of this Church His bride. There is NO way he would let her be destroyed. I and we don't have to believe anything that is contrary to the faith that has been passed on from Christ and the Apostles. Sure it's hard today to answer for what is going on in our church to those on the outside and try to explain what is going on especially with our present pope. Basically we stand fast in our faith. An untested faith is a weak faith. The pruning has begun and is intensifying any branches that are cut off will be thrown in the fire. With all the headlines Catholic and non-Catholic the the the Church is falling, that people are no longer going to church or care, or spiritual but not religious you would think we won't have a Church left soon. That would make Christ a liar for he promised to protect his Church for ever. The end for the Catholic Church is when Christ decides. Not the media or other talking heads. Is it ugly out there? Well hell is uglier. Hang on to the True Faith passed down to us by Christ. He's the anchor and we won't drift away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. That is a complete misunderstanding of the Weeds parable. The field (the thing with the wheat and the weeds in it) represents the whole world, not the church. The church is represented by the wheat, not by the wheat plus the weeds. The church is not made up of sons of God plus sons of Satan, Christians plus Satanists. It is fundamentally a communion of saints (who sometimes sin and need restoration to sainthood), not a communion of sinners. Catholics need to get this right for a change.

      Delete
    2. Discussing the different ways of seeing the parable aside, I think the big problem is that we're clearly seeing an attempt to rewrite the Church. However that can or can't happen in the long term, it is happening now. And what that does for the faithful attempting to make it through their earthly pilgrimage can't be good. Based on the evidence of what we're seeing, it isn't. I think part of it is we just aren't being honest about what is happening. Or at least enough aren't being honest.

      Delete
    3. I'm sorry but I will follow the Catholic Church's teaching on this parable. With 2000 years of being a teaching Church under her belt and guided by the Holy Spirit, I have more confidence in her reading of this parable than in a personal interpretation by someone who has a fraction of the knowledge and years of the Church. It's time you get this right for a change.

      Delete
    4. Again, not sure which this is directed at, but my concern is the confusion this is implanting among those who are desperately trying to be the wheat.

      Delete
    5. Sorry but that was directed at anon and not at you. As far as confusion I totally agree. This doc did not have to be published since there was already a prohibition against blessing sinful relationships. Though technically there is no doctrine or dogma change, there is enough ambiguity in it that will leave open what is actually meant and there are some (James Martin) who will run with it and proclaim the Church now endorses these blessings. As I said above, confusion is not from God.

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, my kids were noticing this at stores recently too. Hobby Lobby has moved all their aisle displays to "spring" and even by last week their entrance was devoid of all things Christmas. Granted, they have had it up since October but... Another store had Valentine stuff on shelves already! My daughter commented on how they set up for the next holiday before the last one is even over!
    As I've basically been ignoring Rome for about 10 years now, I'm only seeing commentary on the fallout, rolling my eyes and putting my head back down. Not in the sand, mind you, but nose to the grindstone. I still have to raise kids in this muddled muckety world, and I'm already distractable enough so I try to stay low to the ground, try to pass on a living faith, and try to detach from the bewildering worldliness of the Church leadership currently. And, of course, pray for poor sinners as our Lady has asked. However, all of this calls to mind Romans 1:16-32...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As an addendum thought on the secularization of Christmas... I recall over 10 years ago going in to shop at Walmart and one of its older employees (I'm guessing late 60's at least) was talking to a customer on her way out. The employee was saying how she didn't decorate for Christmas anymore because it was a "children's holiday" and she didn't have any children at home. What a sad state of existence, I thought at the time. I'm doubling down on that thought. In my youthful naivete I wondered why anyone would actually reject God's amazing goodness if and when He offered it to them??? And as I've aged I've realized just how flippant or ambivalent an enormous part of our society/culture is to such goodness. Thinking of what Christmas purports to proclaim: GOD Himself became man and lived among us...that is an astounding claim. And if you believe it it is most definitely to be celebrated.

      Delete
    2. That's all so true. And yet, I almost sympathize with the world for not believing. Look at the Church. In my Protestant days, that was a big obstacle by the 1990s. By then, secularism had been having its way in our society for several generations. When I would meet with someone or talk to someone outside the church, it's amazing how many would play this card - you say you proclaim the Truth, and yet that church down the street says the same thing using the same Bible. How can this be? The number one card the Catholic Church had was that we don't have 'denominational interpretations', we have the Magisterium. But look what is happening. Again, we're not seeing people say 'Pope Francis has said this, and I think he is right or wrong.' They can't agree on what he said. Which has been happening now for over a decade. They say we're in a Cold Civil War. Sometimes I think we have experienced our own version of a Cold Reformation.

      Delete
    3. Oh yes... agreed on all points. My hubby’s grandmother, still with us at almost 95, told us how they stopped going to church with their kids in the 50s as her husband didn’t like being asked for money. And she didn’t feel the need because she felt close enough to God on a regular basis. (Her grandfather had even been a Methodist minister I believe.) They were not thrilled when their oldest son married a Catholic but, ironically, their other two kids just made messes of their lives and children’s lives, and the Catholic grandchildren/great grandchildren are the most stable in life currently.
      Also, I know I said Hobby Lobby has their Christmas stuff up since October but it was really actually end of August. Just a clarification there. I have to struggle myself against a little Christmas fatigue by this time of year also because it’s also backwards and in your face for so long it’s almost meaningless by the time Christmas comes...on a worldly level. On the level of reality of course, it’s a different story.

      Delete
    4. I notice something you mention that I recall. Because they didn't like being asked for money. I recall many of my dad's generation used that excuse - it's all a business, it's all an industry, they all want money. The idea of institutional corruption. Something that ties into the blog post about the WW2 generation. I believe it's all coming together at this point.

      Delete
  3. The Catholic Church has a decision to make: are there things a pope cannot do?

    If yes, then it has to install express limits and accountability measures.

    If no, then enjoy the ride to papal protestantism.

    Right now, the Vatican I train has no brakes and there's an at-least-heterodox chaos agent in the locomotive. And he and his cronies know what they are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I can't muster the belief that Pope Francis is just this ignorant and sloppy. I fear he knows what he is doing. As I've said in the past, he isn't setting about changing Church teaching. He's making it so he and others won't have to.

      Delete
  4. I think Larry Chapp has the best analysis. It's more of the same, done with deliberation.

    https://www.catholicworldreport.com/2023/12/19/the-ddfs-innovative-declaration-on-blessings-is-a-disaster/

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts