Tuesday, June 5, 2012

God save the Queen

Well done Your Majesty.  I'm a bit of an Anglophile, I admit.  Though I'm proud of my own country's bid for independence, there's a part of me that can look past the never ending trashing of the worst of England's history and see sparkles of goodness.  It was, after all, the land of Chaucer, Shakespeare, Keats,Tennyson, Churchill, Tolkien, Lewis.  The lanes of Oxford, the moors, the English Countryside.  Mary Poppins and Dick Van Dykes' strange shot a Cockney.  Anyway, I love the best of England, and I admire this woman who has been so many things to so many people.  Like a cherished Renaissance painting in a modern home, she somehow links to the past.  I'm not confident that her posterity will carry the mantle as well as she has these past decades.  But in any event, this is her hour, and I wish her the best, and may the best that she has to offer spill over into a country in dire need of anything good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts