Wednesday, December 22, 2010

What would Jesus sing?

An interesting piece over at the National Post.  Geoffery Clarfield looks at the possible music styles of Jesus' day and compares it to Gregorian Chant.  Worth the read, though I'm always off-put by statements such as this:
"In the book of Matthew, we are given an account of the Last Supper. Many scholars now believe it was a Passover Seder where Jesus and his disciples most likely recounted, in story and song, the exodus of the Jewish people from their bondage in Egypt over a thousand years earlier."
What does he mean by 'now'?   Since I went to seminary in 1993, it was taught that Jesus and his disciples were partaking in the Seder meal.  And it wasn't presented as some new, radical theory.  I had the impression that view had been around for many moons.  But sometimes I think we can't resist saying 'now' as if the audience in question won't have a clue anyway, so it will be news to them.  Perhaps that's it.  I don't know.  It just makes me wonder when I hear the word now applied to things I've long known about. 

Otherwise, interesting read. 

1 comment:

  1. New, what do you mean new?????? That has been the belief as far back as I can remember. I guess when it says they were celebrating the passover I always assumed it was the traditional Seder meal that he was using to bring new meaning. Isn't that what the Church teaches??

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts