Sunday, May 13, 2018

Of Mothers Day and Soccer Games

When the oldest boys were young and our youngest hadn't blessed us yet
My Mom now lives with us.  Diagnosed with moderate dementia, she now needs constant care.  And as if our economic fortunes weren't enough, that has fallen on me.   Let me tell you, being a caregiver while raising sons and jumping one step ahead of the bill collector is not easy.  But I would have it no other way. After all, she's Mom.  She gave me life.  I never considered my parents to be perfect, and Lord knows I would have them do things different if I could go back in time, but they loved us, and they did what they thought was best - for us.  And that covers a multitude of sins, as love always does.

She doesn't always get out now, and sometimes will resist going out and doing things, including going to our youngest's soccer games.  Nonetheless, on this Mothers Day weekend, she mustered herself and went out to see him play.

I'd be a fibber if I said our youngest is the best on the field.  At his best, he's not the worst.  He's somewhat smallish and of a more gentle disposition, not lending itself to getting in there and fighting with the best of them.  But he tries, and when he tries, he doesn't do badly.  Usually he's of the 'could have made the goal', rather than 'should have made the goal' level of play.

But she got him on one of his better games, and he ended up being quite the asset for the team.  Mostly on defense, the other team never scored while he was on the field.  And today, we'll have more fun, will spend some time, have dinner, and generally enjoy the time we have together.  The boys took the weekend off, and exams are still a few weeks away.  So the family will be together, Moms will be celebrated, and thankfulness will be proclaimed.

Thanks Mom.  I owe you, well, everything.

Humidity steamed up the lens, but that's  Mom with the family, ready for the game

In one of his better plays, he gets the ball and takes it down to - almost make a goal


I like.  They give certificates to all participants - but not trophies if they didn't win.


Not a big fan of getting his picture taken

Future gourmet chef and police officer - you figure which is which


2 comments:

  1. The bills may be many but you are richly blessed, Dave. Happy mother's day to your wife and mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're what keep me going. I guess if I had a choice, I'd take all the hardships as long as the family was what it is.

      Delete

Let me know your thoughts