Wednesday, May 16, 2018

What happened at the Gaza border

I don't know.  Clashes, protests, threats, violence.  That is what usually happens.  Israel is a small island in a hostile ocean.  Many of its neighbors simply want it gone.  Likewise, like a person holed up in a militia encampment, Israel sometimes reacts with a 'head for an eye' retaliation.   It's highly likely that Hamas, nobody's fool, knows this.  Whipping people into a frenzy so that they storm the fences, knowing Israel will respond with live ammo, and the world will condemn Israel, is as old a Hamas tactic as the dust trod on by Nebuchadnezzar.

I know my heart is broken.  This has defined the Middle East for most of my lifetime.  The current tensions are decades old, and trace back to the late 90s, well before the 9/11 attacks.  I also get that they go back far longer than that.  From those who only care about the violence Israel does, to those who don't care about the violence Israel does, I know neither is exactly the way of Christ.

For me, prayers for peace.  I doubt any 'side' of the issue is exactly spot on, as is usually the case.  But God's side is on the side of peace and life.  So prayers in that direction are appropriate.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts