Friday, November 3, 2017

As a witty and profound analyst of current events

J.K. Rowling makes a decent children's book author.  Actually, she makes a great marketer and self promoter. 

My boys, including a staunch never-Trumper, say she has been gradually slipping into some half baked madness.  Certainly the gap between her and the luminaries that she was constantly compared to, such as Lewis and Tolkien, seems to grow with each passing comment.

My second oldest once said that Rowling made a fictional world that was too big for her abilities to fill. As I've noticed some of her recent observations, I have to say it might be because the real world seems a bit too large for her to grasp. 

In this case, her 'take down' would have meant more had Trump claimed calm confidence.  As it is, that's just a case of deflection.  Why deal with the meat of the issue (are the DNC and Clintons guilty?) when we can deflect to something pointless? 

There's an old adage that if you have to resort to pointing out typos or style flaws on social media, it's likely because you have nothing substantial to add to to the debate.  In Rowling's case, given other observations of hers that I've read, that's what I'm going with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts