Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A nation of crybabies

Strikes again.  When I first heard that the code name for Bin Laden was Geronimo, my very first thought was 'Oh boy, someone's going to be pissed.'  Then I shook it off and thought perhaps we might be growing out of all of this professional offendedness of the last few decades.  When it comes to folks like Christians, over weight people, and Conservatives, there is no real concern for raw feelings, so perhaps that's a start. 

But it was not to be.  As sure as I knew it would, a group has come out protesting our use of the name Geronimo.  Yep.  All upset because his name was used for Bin Laden.  Now, as stupid as this is, it shows the fact that we seldom learn from past mistakes.  The fact that American Indians still enjoy a sort of blank check when it comes to writing their own history is why this is the case.  After all, if the code name had been Pope Pius XII, would the same ones protesting now protest at all?  Probably not.  Oh sure, some others might  protest.  But that's the problem.  It's not a case of 'there is a higher principle here that was violated.'  It's a case of 'that bothers me, ME, and I don't care what you do to anyone else, just don't do it to me!' standard of post-modern attitudes.

2 comments:

  1. Ah Yes, remember it is all about ME!!!
    I wouldn't have cared less about the code name no matter what they used. Give me a break. It would be a name that would have been recognizable to Americans -you know the ones who did the dirty work for the world.
    I guess it could have just as easily been Davey Crocket or Sam the Handy man. It just needed to be some name that was quickly heard and understood.

    Oh well. He is dead. Long live the Navy Seals!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to that! Long live the Seals. You're right about the others.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts