Saturday, December 23, 2017

Christmas memories

I remember this:


Kasey Kasem, the man with the million dollar voice.  In high school his Top 40 was required listening.  Most of my friends went to church, so I was able to get a head start on the weekly program since all but the top ten took place before noon on Sundays.

In the mid 80s, I saw this special on TV.   The part (around 23:20) in which he describes, as only his golden voice could, a tale about French and Germany soldiers singing carols during battle, especially caught my attention.  Still a proud 80s liberal hedonist, I didn't believe in the divine aspects of the Christian Faith, but I didn't hate it either.  There was always something there, in the faintest corner of my mind, saying that it would be a better world if it was true.

That part of the special stuck with me.  The rest of it is fun, if for nothing else the nostalgia and some of the commercials.  And Alvin and the Chipmunks  But for me, back then, it was Kasem relating that story of peace in the midst of war that stuck and always bounced about inside my thinking whenever Christmastime rolled around.  It still does.

3 comments:

  1. Is this the movie based on that war moment?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyeux_Noël

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that movie is about the WWI Christmas truce. The story that Kasey Kasem relates is from the Franco-Prussian war.

      Delete
    2. Gotcha. Thx dave.

      Prince of Peace indeed.

      Delete

Let me know your thoughts