Friday, January 27, 2012

Sentenced to death

So the man who committed one of the most vile acts of violence in recent memory, has been sentenced to death.  No shock there.  I have long had a problem with the death penalty. Primarily because I don't believe that any justice system, in its best days, is infallible.  Nonetheless, there are times when that gut feeling arises that justice demands more than simply life in a tax payer supported luxury hotel while honest people go homeless.  And I suppose that's why there are some who still think the death penalty is proper.  I know the Catholic Church has been making baby steps toward just chucking the death penalty altogether.  But crimes like this go far toward preserving some idea that the sanctity of human life demands a higher penalty for its taking than opponents of the death penalty seem prepared to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts