Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Science in a Wikiworld

Michael Flynn has written one of the best pieces on our modern abuse of science that I've read.  Read it here.  It is so, so true.  Science is used as a club by various segments of our society to win arguments, often when I'm not 100% sure those using the club have any more grasp of the science than I do.

I've said before that I'm a skeptic when it comes to science.  I believe that just like a thousand years ago, the bulk of the things we think are true today will either turn out to be false, or will be entirely reinterpreted when humanity has its next great 'Scientific Revolution.'  Not that we throw the baby out with the bath water.  To me, though, it's worth remembering, especially as the current mantra of modern 'science' is the evils of Global Warming, due largely to all the pollutions that came about when we used old time science to invent all those swell things like cars and trains and washing machines.

But that is where Mr. Flynn tackles a history of how science was treated, and how it was approached.  And why when folks today appeal to airplanes or air conditions to prove their points, it might just be that they are missing the entire meaning of what science really is, and what it isn't.  Read the post, it will be well worth your time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts