Thursday, October 21, 2010

Juan Williams forgets who we are supposed to hate and fear

Get Religion smells a rat. Apparently NPR has canned Juan Williams. Juan Williams, besides working for NPR, also contributes to FOX News. Yeah, FOX News. One of the token liberals. Anyway, he was fired for a discussion he had on Bill O'Reilly in which he said the following:

“I mean, look, Bill, I’m not a bigot. You know the kind of books I’ve written about the civil rights movement in this country. But when I get on the plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous.”
Mollie Ziegler dares to point out an interesting fact. Both NPR, as well as The View (the controversy around which Williams' interview was based), frequently cite the Christian culpability behind Timothy McVeigh's Oklahoma City Bombing. A simple Google Search will reveal, of course, that McVeigh was an agnostic. Yet from the View, to MSNBC, to the Huffpost, to Newsweek, to NPR, we continue to hear about how gracious they are for not blaming Christianity for the Oklahoma City Bombing.

Since McVeigh is on record as professing agnosticism, would someone please tell me why we would even assume Christianity is to blame? Of course this makes me think of nothing so much as this:



I know, there's something special about being able to witness one of the most asinine statements in human history. But that illustrates the problem and the power of the Super Narrative. Why do media outlets continue to invoke McVeigh as proof of Christianity's culpability in the Oklahoma City Bombing? For the same reason that Mr. Smiley insists that Christians are the most violent people in the world, shooting, blowing up, and murdering people everyday. It's the power of the Super Narrative.

If nature abhors a vacuum, the Secular Left abhors the traditional Christian faith. The cultures tied to Christianity - Europe and America - are equally culpable. In fact, little good comes from the history of those cultures but that which can be severed from any ties to Christianity (whether the ties were actually there or not).

The problem is, the Left hates Christianity, and either knows it's lying about such things, but says it in order to whip up hatred and fear of the Christian faith, or it's simply so immersed in its own ideological dogmas - many of which presuppose a hatred of Christianity - that they naturally assume anyone not purposefully professing another identity who has done something bad must be Christian. And if they do profess something else like Islam? Doesn't matter, we can still insist the only reason they did bad was because Europe/America (influenced by the traditional values of Christianity) must have been the cause.

So you see, like Rick Sanchez, Smiley has been fired because of who he spewed intolerance against, not because he spewed intolerance. The very outlets that condemn what Juan was fired for have no problem with those who say the same thing about Christians. In fact, so comfortable are we with the Super Narrative of Christianity's inherent evil, both NPR and PBS, which host fine quality programs that help perpetuate these and other fine anti-Christian myths, are supported by our tax money. Makes me proud to pay taxes.

1 comment:

  1. OK so let me get this straight. Christians are blowing people away everyday. I don't believe I heard that correctly. In fact those who say that obviously have no clue what a Christian is. The follower of Christ who lives their life following the teachings of Christ. These people just don't get it- they totally miss how stupid they are.

    Ah yes Juan. I heard him say that on the OReily show and thought then - HMM I wonder what is going to come of that one. Well I guess my thoughts were not too far off. Who next Oreily himself. Yes he was being honest, but being honest in this world comes with a price nowadays.

    DS

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts