Wednesday, September 27, 2023

It's about time

My blog is an informal affair.  I don't do it for money.  I don't have fundraisers.  I have, on the rarest of occasions, asked for help when we were torpedoed by the fortunes of life.   But that's about it.  

I started the blog because a priest I worked with years ago made the suggestion.  He wanted me to write a book.  That's not really my cup of tea.  As anyone who reads my blog knows, I'm not a pro writer.  I'm a better public speaker, but only in front of people.  I would do a miserable job talking to a cell phone camera.  Despite that, I went ahead and started a blog because, back then, that's what you did. 

Mostly it has ebbed and flowed over the years. I would like to have a hobby blog, I just don't have hobbies.  At least none I'm singularly immersed in enough to continuously blog about.  Usually it ends up me fussing about what is happening in our world.  With an occasional deviation toward family or fun or quirky things. 

As a result, I have spent little time focused on the actual stats for my blog.  At Patheos we did focus on stats, and I was part of a Patheos Facebook group where everyone watched and evaluated each other.  That's when I was encouraged to comment on Facebook, a decision that ended up losing me several friends of the more tolerant sort. 

When I left Patheos I stopped caring about the stats again.  From the beginning I was content with my readership, whatever the numbers.  Early on I received a boost from none other than Mark Shea, who posted a link to my blog and gave it a shout out over at the old Catholic and Enjoying It.  Those were different times.  I also got a big boost when connected to The American Catholic.  

But a few months ago, without really trying, I noticed that my readership was getting close to a milestone - at least for me.  I realize that for most blogs, such numbers are a pittance.  My blog being a guppy in the vast ocean of Social Media.  Still, I began paying attention and waiting for it to break through that little milestone of 100K monthly views.  Something it has never done, even at Patheos. 

Finally, after several months of almost getting there, only to fizzle out at the end and fall short, I made it:

Heh. Again, I know for most this is small beans.  But it was fun watching the numbers get ever so close. I doubt I'll break any other statistical barriers, so this will suffice.  

4 comments:

  1. Wow! That’s amazing! Congrats :) And Happy official Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, I can't help but be happy that this happened in the month that starts the finest time.

      Delete
  2. Awesome!!! You have certainly put your time and heart into it. You make me proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh. Thank ye! A special comment from a special reader!

      Delete

Let me know your thoughts