Sunday, February 10, 2013

A thought on modern blockbuster movies

When I see this

From the upcoming "Jack the Giant Killer"

And this

From "The Avengers"

And even this

From Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit"

I'm reminded that the movie that really kicked the CGI phenomenon into high gear, had but a dozen and a half minutes or so of actual special dinosaur effects:

Spielberg's vision of Chrichton's "Jurassic Park"
And many of those were not computer graphics at all. Just a thought, as even my boys admit they're getting tired of CGI, CGI, CGI.  As they said, it's like watching video games with occasional suits in them.  One of the reasons I like Christopher Nolan is his reluctance to rely too heavily on CGI effects, preferring, instead, the good old flesh and bones capabilities of actors, and brick and tree feel of real settings. Call me old fashioned, but that just hit me as my boys were fussing about the next string of upcoming video games movies out of Hollywood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts