Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Bil Keane has died

Sad to hear.  His Family Circus cartoons were a staple of the funny pages when I was growing up.  Were they the funniest, blow beer out your nose and fall off the chair in laughter comics?  No.  They didn't have to be.  They didn't have to be profound, or deep, or ironic, or witty, or anything.  We had other strips, like Calvin and Hobbes, Peanuts, and Bloom County, for that.  But Family Circus filled in that little void, just right for childhood nostalgia.  Funny thing was, it filled me with a sense of nostalgia when I was a child!  Don't know why, but it seemed to be childhood the way I both experienced it and wanted to experience it.  I have no clue if it was intentional or not, but that's how I experienced the strips.  So thanks for the memories both then and now Mr. Keane, may you rest in peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts