Thursday, August 25, 2011

Catholic priest is murdered - post moderns cheer!

Yes, it's been a while, and I'm really wanting to jump start the old blog.  Was away for vacation, and then getting ready for school.  Things will slow down - hopefully - over the next few weeks.  I'm also wanting to rethink and reevaluate just how I do the blog.  Do I bring back the comments?  Do I try to engage in thoughtful discussions?  Do I just plow in with the usual 'Me and everyone like me is cool and hip, and everyone else is stupid and evil' that dominates so much of the blogosphere?  I don't know.

I know it makes it tough to resist the temptation to enter such low level debate when I see things like this story about a priest found murdered in Nicaragua.  It's not the story so much as it's the comments.  Basically they go something like this: We all know the Catholic Church is evil, all priests are rapists, so who cares?  This guy got what he had coming to him.  Never mind that the vast majority of Catholic Clergy, like the vast majority of most professions, was not involved in the scandal.  This is post-modernity. We don't suffer trifles like facts.  We just want our side to win.  And if it means the other side should be murdered while we blow beer out our noses laughing, all the better.

Remember - and I think this whenever I see such reactions - the Nazis who slaughtered and persecuted Jews were as often as not laughing it up when they were doing it.  Just like those torturing terror suspects in US prisons.  They weren't bemoaning the actions, they were yucking it up all the way.  Something worth pondering.

Anyway, while it's tempting to want to reduce myself to the level of such folks, I still feel torn.  It worries me where our society is headed, and things like this don't change that.  Still, I know it's more fun to get in and give as good as it's gotten.  I'll see I guess.  For now, that's my thought on seeing so many cheering over the death of a priest that, as of now, we know nothing about. It probably says what we fear the most - that despite assurances to the contrary, the only thing we've learned in the last 70 years or so is nothing at all. Maybe less than was known to begin with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts