Monday, November 1, 2010

A discussion of Baptism by sprinkling

An interesting article about the USCCB working with some reformed communities. It centers around the validity of sprinkling in light of the post-Reformation emphasis on baptism by immersion only (and to some degree by pouring). It's nice to see these things debated. One often gets the feeling that a growing number of believers in the modern pew couldn't give a rats rip about such things, believing them to be completely irrelevant. That is the impact of secularization. Even the most devoted followers are plagued with the doubts raised by the secular revolution. It doesn't help that many traditions embrace these very same secular perspectives. The idea that religions were just clever stories and yarns spun by some pretty insightful individuals, does tend to diminish the importance of such topics. If, however, one believes that religions are divinely inspired, revealed by the Creator God, then questions about how things are done takes on new meaning. I suppose how important things like this are to the average person indicates where they think their faith came from: God, or some really insightful authors of a bygone age.

1 comment:

  1. wow I found that discussion to be very inspiring. Meaning. I am glad that someone out there still thinks these things are important. I am at this point not sure what side I would be on. I am for including as many as I can in the validity of their baptism. We will have to watch and see how this plays out.
    DS

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts